Senior Assessment Specialist
Office of Assessment of Teaching and Learning
Smith Center for Undergraduate Education — 503M
Areas Served and Specialty Focus
Program Assessment, Data Analysis, and Capacity Building:
- Consults with academic programs, colleges, and general education to plan, design and implement program-level assessment activities, data analysis, and use of results in ways that are meaningful, manageable, and sustainable.
- Facilitates discussions and helps frame issues with a focus on student learning and effective curriculum. Assists colleges in the design of course evaluations to provide results useful for program assessment as well as assessment of instruction.
- Collaborates with faculty and administration to interpret and apply program assessment findings and course evaluation results to support effective curriculum, teaching approaches, and learning design. Develops and conducts faculty and/or staff workshops to support assessment of teaching and learning.
Accreditation and Systematic Assessment Reporting:
- Contributes as ATL develops and implements systematic program-level assessment, infrastructure, and reporting to meet university needs and accreditation requirements for the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU), including managing annual program assessment reports and analysis.
Scott joined the Office of Assessment of Teaching and Learning as a Senior Assessment Specialist in January 2017. Prior to joining WSU, Scott worked for 15 years at Zayed University in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates where he served in the University’s Office of Educational Effectiveness (OEE) working with colleges to support the institution’s learning outcomes assessment program and accreditation processes. An important aspect of this role was developing and delivering professional development presentations and workshops. Scott was a frequent presenter at the local, regional and international levels and has published most recently in Innovative Higher Education. During his tenure in the OEE, Scott led the effort to gain recognition for his institution’s best practices in assessment, resulting in Zayed University’s selection as one of only 10 inaugural winners of the Excellence in Assessment Designation co-sponsored by the Voluntary System of Accountability (VSA), the National Institute for Learning Outcomes Assessment (NILOA), and the Association of American Colleges and Universities (AAC&U). Previous to his work in the OEE, Scott served as Assistant Director of Zayed University’s pre-university English language program, and taught ESL courses, as well as courses in the University College and College of Business. In addition to his work in the UAE, Scott has held positions in the US, Indonesia, and Saudi Arabia.
Conference Presentations (selected)
- Implementing PLAIR: A Pilot Project. Presented at the 2016 IUPUI Assessment Institute, Indianapolis, USA, 2016.
- Leveraging a Qualifications Framework to Improve Student Learning Outcomes. Presented at 6th QS-MAPLE Conference and Exhibition. United Arab Emirates University, Al Ain, UAE, 2016.
- Enhancing Faculty Classroom Practices through Communities of Practice. Presented at 40th Annual Professional and Organizational Development (POD) Network Conference. San Francisco, CA, 2015.
- Developing a Culture of Assessment through Effective Change Management. Presented at 5th QS-Maple Conference and Exhibition. Doha, Qatar, 2015.
- Quality Assurance through Analyzing Closing the Loop Actions. Presented at Oman Quality Network in Higher Education. Muscat, Oman, 2015.
- Maximizing Foundation Year Effectiveness through Course Integration. Presented at the Higher Education Workshop on Quality Assurance in Foundation Programs. Khasab, Oman, 2005. Sponsored as Higher Educational Consultant by the U.S. Embassy, Oman.
Recent Publications and Grants
- Meta-Assessment: Assessing the Learning Outcomes Assessment Program. Schoepp and Benson. Innovative Higher Education. 41(4) pp. 287-301, 2016.
- A Needs Assessment on Quality Control and Performance Improvement at a Small Manufacturing Company. Hoveland, Elliot and Benson. Performance Xpress. International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI) 2014.
- Facilitating Adoption of Mobile Learning in Zayed University through a Community of Practice. Mobile Learning Research Fund Grant. Center for Educational Innovation. 2014.
Certificate on Curriculum and Pedagogy in Higher Education, International Program for the Scholarship of Educational Leadership. University of British Columbia (expected completion February 2017).
M.S. in Organizational Performance and Workplace Learning, Dept. of Engineering, Boise State University, Boise, Idaho. 2013.
M.A. in Teaching English as a Second Language, Dept. of Linguistics, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Illinois. 1992.
B.A. in English / Rhetoric, minor in History, University of Illinois, Urbana, Illinois. 1991.